Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Dutch Part II

While I had many many exciting adventures in my Nederlands 1.1 class, Nederlands 1.2 has been less eventful.

In fact, even though my teacher is really great, I'm just not that into it. I'm kinda bored and I have to force myself to go most days.

That being said, today was a very fun day. The teacher brought in cards with pictures of various products you can buy at the market. There was fish, fruit, chicken, desserts, bread, pastries etc. She divided the class into two groups. One group was the market vendors the other half were the clients. Our job was to pretend to be in a market and then have conversations with one another about buying things -- You know,

"Good morning ma'am."
"Good morning. How much are your grapes?"
"They are 5 euros a kilo."
"I will have 1 kilo, please."
'That will be 50 cents" (or whatever, I can't do the math)
"Here is 10 euros."
"Do you have smaller change?"
"Yes. Here is 5 euros."
"Thank you, have a good day."
"Good bye."

Anyway, we took turns being the seller and the customer and occasionally someone would liven things up by "stealing" something, or by butting ahead in line. We did this for an ENTIRE hour. For some reason it was incredibly fun. There was a lot of laughing and joking and I found myself quite anxious to either get a good deal, or to get the most money possible from my "customers."

It was only when I was telling Andrew about the game tonight that I realised why I had enjoyed myself so much.

I used to play that EXACT game in Kindergarten at Ecole St. Léon. I'd like to think that this indicates a youthful exuberance for life, rather than the fact that I have a five-year old's mentality.

La la.

No comments: