Friday, July 25, 2008

What's with the huh, now?

I watched "Away From Her" last night. I say I watched because although Andrew was in the room, he was working on his book. He claims not to like "slow" movies... When I told him there were no car chases in this award-winning film about Alzheimer's disease, he lost interest. (This is not to say that Andrew only likes "boy" movies -- he's a huge fan of any kind of love story, any sort of movie with spontaneous outbreakings of song, and anything involving high school... as long as they all have happy endings. We saw the Britney Spears movie in the THEATRE is what I am saying).

Anyway, I watched this movie, which I've been wanting to see for a few years. It's very good, the performances are wonderful, Julie Christie is stunningly gorgeous and illustrates that you don't need a ton of makeup or botox to look hot. Gordon Pinsent is really incredible. The scenery is pristine and between it, Pinsent's faint Newfie accent and the ocassional "a-boot" the movie has succeeded in making me quite homesick for Canada.

The thing is, I didn't understand the ending. Does Fiona remember Grant? Does Fiona remember the other dude? Was Grant moving? Was he moving in with Olympia Dukakis? Was the other dude moving back into Shady Pines, or whatever that place was called? So confused.

I am hoping that one of my smart friends or family members can tell me what was happening there at the end. I've actually got the Alice Munro short story kicking around here somewhere, but I kind of hate short stories, so if you could save me from reading it and just tell me what was going on, I'd really appreciate it. If you're not sure yourself, take a stab at it, because I was out to sea. Consider it your good deed for the day.

In other news, Andyroo have had many adventures of late -- we went on the most elaborate beer run of all time, we were in London at a conference and we've been to Iceland. At some point in my life I will blog about all of it...

In the meantime, here is a picture of Iceland to whet your appetite. Iceland is a country of jaw-dropping natural beauty... Really, there are volcanos, glaciers, waterfalls, geysers, ice-pack fed rivers, puffins, seals, ponies, sheep, vikings and hot springs. It's obvious, then why I have chosen this picture to represent our whole trip:









Hee! I'm in novelty viking horns making a really stupid face! How perfect!

2 comments:

Lara said...

I watched this movie one day when I was home sick and spent most of it sobbing uncontrollably. But I have to agree with you that the ending was a bit unclear ;) Sorry to not bring any light to the situation, but at least you weren't alone :)

Anonymous said...

Britney Spears made a movie?