Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The road to Lake Nakuru

One less than great thing about the trip was that it required a lot of travel along bumpy African roads. Still, we'd stop fairly often, and they kept us well-fed, so I didn't get cranky.


Here we are at a pretty waterfall.



Andy at a viewpoint overlooking the Rift Valley, which stretches from Syria to Mozambique.

Me pointing to the Rift Valley, in case you had missed it.



We didn't do much hiking on this trip, but one walk we did do was to the Mau Mau caves, which is where the Mau Mau rebels holed up for years as they were fighting to kick the Brits out of Kenya and gain their independence.

That's part of our group at the Equator. We had a demonstration of the movement of water through a drain here. Bart Simpson was right, it really does go counter-clockwise South of the Equator.

Lake Nakuru is famous for its flamingos.

This is me, keeping a safe distance from the giant, heaving mass of BIRDS that fill this enormous lake. I tried not to think of them rising in formation to attack me. I think you can still kind of get how nervous I am from my posture, though...


Pretty animal, whose name I have already forgotten.

Buffalo

Man.

Woman

This hyena is hunting flamingos.

See?


Storks are super creepy. I wouldn't want one going anywhere near a baby. It would totally eat it.


Rhino-palooza!



Rhine-tastic!



Baby Rhino! (Woodgy woo).


No comments: