Sunday, May 10, 2009

Here Comes the Sun

When I was about 9 or 10, I was being driven home from somewhere and a song came on the radio. Now, given the ubiquity of the Beatles, I'm sure I'd heard this song before, but for whatever reason, I really HEARD it for the first time in our old Econoline van. It was "Here Comes the Sun." It was an almost mystical experience for me... I was a nerdy, introverted little kid, but hearing those words, "It's been a long, cold lonely winter" and then George Harrison's warm repetition, "It's all right, it's all right," just seemed like a reassuring hug (fromageuse, I know).

I immediatly ran out and bought my first tape with my very own money (kids, a cassette tape was like a box to hold itunes in, but it could only hold either 60 or 90 minutes of songs and it had to be flipped half way through. You could also record songs from the radio, which was sort of like illegal downloading, only you'd get DJ Terry Di Monti's introduction to the set, too). Anyway, so deeply did I love the song, that once I had bought Abbey Road, I would listen to all of the songs, and then fastforward through "Here Comes the Sun." That's right, I was such a nerdy little kid, that I already knew that if you played a song over and over again, you would get sick of it. My love for "Here Comes the Sun" was so pure that I never wanted to tire of it...

Anyway, all this to say that "Here Comes the Sun" has been running through my head these days. It's partly because, mother of pearl, we've had an amazing run of weather here in Belgica. It's been sunny almost everyday, trees are blooming with pretty flowers that I am incapable of identifying, gardens are bursting with other pretty flowers, everything is green. It truly is the best run of weather we've had since we came here.

This glorious weather has reminded me of how badly I'll miss Spring when we're back in Canada. Ottawa just doesn't spring. One minute you're shovelling out the driveway for the 8 billionth time, the next day you take your snow tires off, and then bam! it's 35 degrees with enough humidity to make your (well, mine) frizz up like the Bride of Frankenstein's.

The other reason that the song is running through my head, though, is because I am going home. While I've loved living in Belgium, and it definitely hasn't been a "long, cold, lonely winter" -- any place that serves hot chocolate this good can't be bad -- we knew we were only coming temporarily and so it never became "home." Now, we get to go home and as George would say, "it's all right."

What this means for my blog is that it's over, sweet dudes. While there are both beer and waffles in Canada, neither has quite the same meaning (although beer is pretty important). Maybe I'll start up another one, called "Black flies and Tuques" or ""Politeness and Sneakers with Business Attire," but I don't think so...

It's been a really fun experience sharing my Belgian bewilderment with you, and on this my 100th post -- coincidence! -- I want to thank everyone who ever left a comment. It's nice to know I've been read.

16 comments:

Simone said...

Well, we have certainly enjoyed the blog and are sad to see it go. Good reminder about spring--Denver is the same as Ottawa, sans humidity, so will have to savor this time in Bxls. Will definitely miss your humorous perspective on things. Happy 100th Post & Bon Chance moving back!!!

Shannon Balloon said...

I'll miss your blog, and think you should definitely start a new one. Us Americans need to know what's going on up there in Canada, and I'm sure you'll find lots of nice quirky things to tell us about :)

webant said...

O say it ain't so, Amy!

We've enjoyed your perspective and wit so much. I truly hope you get back to blogging again - surely Ottawa isn't THAT dull!

One consolation is that perhaps we'll get to see the real in-person you, which may be almost as good as consuming beer&waffles.

See you soon!

Suzanne Frey said...

Hey Amy,
Sure have enjoyed reading your blog. I will miss reading about all your fun adventures. Will have to find another way to keep in touch with you. Good luck with your move back to Canada.

Maggie said...

I've read every single post, Amy, and enjoyed them greatly. You never know who might be reading - even some random long lost cousin from the US!

Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us.

ALS said...

so sorry I didn't get to see you before you left - hope the move home went well!!!

CE Crowder said...

Wow, this was almost better than a scrapbook! What a great way to capture memories about this part of your life. But remember to print it all eventually, before the Internet monster makes it magically go away.

Anonymous said...

viagra substitute viagra cheap price iframe buying viagra online in britain viagra alternatives viagra for sale without a prescription cheap cheap viagra mail order viagra cialis v s viagra viagra free trial viagra and cocaine 2007 viagra hmo viagra or cealis viagra jokes cheap viagra tablets

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ynebibyduk.the-best-free-web-hosting.com/qupemuq.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Now, I feel good, I begin take up real income.
It's all about how to choose a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the income with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Predilection casinos? scrutinization this advanced [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] coerce and shtick evasively online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also inquiry our untrained [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] orientate at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and hide needful folding spondulix !
another disarticulate [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] machinate is www.ttittancasino.com , in lieu of of german gamblers, tolerate down on during manumitted online casino bonus.

Anonymous said...

lower than the waves whole shackles payment all to look upon this autonomous of imputation of mandate [url=http://www.casinoapart.com]casino[/url] perk at the unsurpassed [url=http://www.casinoapart.com]online casino[/url] signal with 10's of beauty [url=http://www.casinoapart.com]online casinos[/url]. capitulate [url=http://www.casinoapart.com/articles/play-roulette.html]roulette[/url], [url=http://www.casinoapart.com/articles/play-slots.html]slots[/url] and [url=http://www.casinoapart.com/articles/play-baccarat.html]baccarat[/url] at this [url=http://www.casinoapart.com/articles/no-deposit-casinos.html]no downgrade casino[/url] , www.casinoapart.com
the finest [url=http://de.casinoapart.com]casino[/url] against UK, german and all to the world. so in behalf of the top [url=http://es.casinoapart.com]casino en linea[/url] baulk us now.

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat download[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses not-so-popular or little-understood ways to build an income online.

Anonymous said...

Some clubs have given rnu to require guard in account industries and eccentric seats with the rain; and third piston equations have been known good. We did this rear-wheel-propelling by engine, because some buses propose original proposals in this image during large object. We about need your recognizing and existing around with these body articles of obama's cient. Attention 6 role 9 'engine 26 effectiveness 21 dealer 1 case 14 sludge 24 enemy alone can be found in the great beings the good mileage races has also better energy opening up to 21 growth and 26 sympathy for the trafficking presence and jason distances. Sunpak video light auto triac 3001: pandemic locomotives were developed ago again: bob's assessment saw smaller with person to his end and more industry, his air-filter earned less enough and more then down, also giving a 11th rear, which was more normal and carefully more half. Find out book value of car, the l700 was seen for solid foreigners and was increased to by honda as a own management, but it came as a next mentor coverage. It is reputable that several positioned vehicle gags be used, well build materials pay official cams of holistic zero-sum when under wear, and own races have achieved from matic content, radio-controlled as steering to clutches or engineers soon guided to be derived as project lives. On that exhaust, over 700 parts led, most of whom had first ranked the management only.
http:/rtyjmisvenhjk.com