Friday, September 17, 2010

The Coast Part 1

After Canberra (let us speak no more of it) we headed over the Dividing Range and down to the NSW South Coast. Our plan was to slowly make our way to Melbourne, stopping in any little towns that appealed to us. Before we started that, however, we enjoyed one more insanely hospitable stay with one of my mum's friends. This was the guest "cottage" which we had all to ourselves:



On our first night there, Andy and I sat on the veranda with beers as the sun set and listened to the kookaburras go to bed.


The next morning we got up and spent two hours thoroughly exploring the grounds of the estate we were staying at:





Dairy cows, pelicans, kangaroos, cockatoos, kookaburras, parrots, horses. It's a very spectacular spot.





Oh, yes, and emus too...


And did I mention the runway they built so their PRIVATE PLANE could land?! Berserk!

Here's the runway:




And here comes the plane:





La, la...standing on the runway watching this thing land is as close as I'm ever going to come to the jet set...




That's okay, though, because my little girl has discovered peekaboo on this trip and she's pretty thrilled abut it:















Because of my dislocated shoulder, I have been unable to do any of the driving. This has put me into the navigator position, which apart from one particularly tense marital moment in the pounding rain when we got trapped in a roundabout on the Mornington Peninsula, has been very stress free. In fact, my wounded shoulder has meant that I haven't had to tie my own shoes, change poopy diapers or carry anything -- almost makes it worth it, really.

1 comment:

Cecrow said...

Finally caught up with your adventures on the bottom of the world - LOL, this is great!